Thursday, January 20, 2011

Response to Question N


            I think anyone who is truly compassionate about an issue can be considered an activist.  To be an effective activist is someone who is strong-willed, passionate, determined, and motivational.  I also think an activist has to be well educated about the issue they are pursuing, and be confident to speak up in a crowd.   The person needs to be aware that there will be a lot of obstacles, and most likely a lot of people who will be in opposition with them.  Most importantly a good activist doesn’t give up, even through the hardest patches of discouragement. 
            Activist and activism is important to helping solve issues in our society.  It can bring awareness to people who were oblivious of the issue before.  I know on campus I have seen flyers, rallies, debates, or a free small souvenir (ex. pins, stickers, bracelet).  All these methods spread the word, and knowledge of a cause, I know I have learned for the first time about certain issues from these forms of communication.
            One of my favorite activist groups is PETA.  Although some of the campaigns are extreme, and intense.  They are so compassionate, and make so much effort to make a change in animal treatment.  I am not a vegetarian myself, however, some of the PETA arguments are very convincing.  One of my friends did became vegan after watching a presentation from a PETA activist a few years ago.  Activists are clearly important members of our culture, because they question the norm, and powerfully fight for good causes. 

3 comments:

  1. I also agree that an activist needs to be educated on the issue. I liked that you brought up the point that the person needs to be confident in speaking up in a crowd, if they aren't, the issue may not get across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of PETA before. I think more feminists and activists need to be critiquing them. They are very sexist and misogynist with there ads and campaigning.
    http://adland.tv/content/petas-top-five-most-offensive-and-most-sexist-ads

    I can't see how they can do this if they really want change. There are just so many liberals today who buy into the whole movement but really have no desire to change there comfortable and perhaps privileged position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I respect that PETA is trying to work for the welfare of animals and animal rights, I have to agree with Traveler that their antics are very disturbing from a feminist standpoint. While it is not okay to exploit animals, it IS okay to exploit women? Their hypocrisy makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete