Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quick Blog # 3



1.             A time in which I feel I was privileged was to be able to go to an out-of-state university, and not have to worry about financial obligations.  I consider myself middle class, yet, to my parents considered it important to pay for my college education.  I recently read an article about the struggles of many college students in debt with loans.  I feel privileged (and thankful) that I do not need to worry about being in debt when I graduate.  I have friends who do not have the same privilege as I do, however, I respect those people a lot because not only do they succeed in school but they also work a job.  Everyone has their own style of college experience, but I definitely feel that I have an advantage because I do not think I would be able to handle a job, school work, and enjoy my social life.

2.             I studied abroad this past semester and one of the countries I visited was Casablanca, Morocco.  I felt oppressed due to the fact they looked as me as a white, American who was probably of Christian faith.  I was not greeted with respect, or even a smile.   In Morocco majority are Hindu, and Muslim, and a lot of the people strongly dislike Americans.  I felt I was at a huge disadvantage due to the fact that my appearance (white skin, blonde hair) stuck out in a crowd, as well as that I am an American.  Muslims and Americans clearly have a history, however, I was doing my best to respect their customs, community, and values.  The only thing the Moroccans saw was American.  This was upsetting to me that I was judge on one quality and automatically grouped with the beliefs of certain Americans.  I now know how oppression feels first hand, and I would not wish that feeling on anyone. 

3.              One experience I have had in which a classism remark was made was in a McDonalds.  I was with one of my friends who wanted to grab something to eat quick before we went to our other friends house.  He ordered his meal and when it came out it wasn’t the right thing.  He had been having a bad day but that does not excuse the remark he made to the person.  I do not remember the exact wording but it was about how dumb can someone be to be working at a McDonalds and not even be able to get a order right.  He said this right to cash registers face!  I was disgusted and embarrassed.  First off that person did not even make his food so it wasn’t his fault.  Secondly, no one should ever degrade someone else like that especially over a food mix-up.  My friend did not know that person, their lifestyle, or the situation they were in.  A job is a job in my eyes.  When those words came out of my friends mouth I gave him a shocked face, and told him that was incredibly rude, and uncalled for.  I also made an effort to apologize to the worker sincerely.  I know this did not excuse my friends actions, and there was possibly more I could have done to diffuse the situation, however, the damage was already done to that worker. 

1 comment:

  1. I myself will be one of those that will have to pay off student loans for some time after I graduate and to hear that you are privileged enough to not have to do that but appreciate that means a lot to me. I think there are many students out there that take advantage of that fact and don't realize that there are others who will have to pay for those loans and are not privileged to be able to go to school "full boat". It's really nice to hear that you respect those that have to work full time while trying to pay for school, thank you for expressing that, it helps to know there are some people out there who care :)

    ReplyDelete