Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Response to Question M


                        Ageism is the discrimination, and maltreatment of someone simply because they are old.  I think one of the root causes of this stereotyping is due to the media influence, and our fast paced culture.  In our society everything is in high-speed mode, from driving fast in our cars, to wearing all the latest (fast changing) fashion styles.  People think of elderly people as “boring, stinky, cranky, demanding, avaricious, bossy, ugly, dirty and useless” (Butler, 557).  These are entirely not true.  What happened to the elderly being highly respected by a culture?  Some cultures traditions still honor elderly as the most wise and respected people in a community.
            I do not think of myself as completely ageist for I do respect elderly people, and feel that they have a lot of wisdom to share if people would listen to them, and not write them off as senile.  One of my grandfathers was drafted in WWII at age 18, and he has some interesting, first-hand stories about the historical event.  If my own grandfather has fascinating stories I can imagine that all elderly people have worthwhile stories to share.  The problem is no one listens.  I am not perfect though, and there are defiantly those times that I get frustrated with someone older, and think in my head “errr this annoying old person”!  For example, at the grocery store waiting in line behind an elderly person trying to use the self- scanners, or on a one-way street with the person in front of you going 10 mph.  I do get frustrated and impatient.  Yet, we have to realize that these people were from a different time, grew up in a less technologically advanced society, and don’t move as fast as us young people do.  They are still people, and could be some of the nicest, friendliest people you will ever talk to if you give them a chance.  Who cares if someone is old? Do people really have legit reasons if they stopped and though about it.  
            Think of it this way, one day we are all going to be considered elderly, and will we wanted to be treated the way society treats old people now? 

3 comments:

  1. I think that its great that you included the elderly in other cultures. I completely forgot about how other cultures such as the Chinese respect their elders no matter what and find them to be nothing less than wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the way you said that they may be slow in this fast paced culture but are wise and experienced. It is really sad to see that they have great knowledge, values and stories to share but nobody is ready to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its interesting how you brought up the media's influence on how ageism started. I don't think i've ever thought about it that way, but i think your right that the media definitely influences how we treat the elder.

    ReplyDelete