Monday, January 17, 2011

Quick Blog # 4


Willow Smith’s song, Whip My Hair, has become a phenomenon within the music industry.  Willow Smith is around ten years old, and I feel that is very young to produce such a risky song.  I think the song can be considered very sexual, and is not a song I would choose to teach a child.  Although I am very impressed by gaining a record deal at such a young age, and producing a song that has risen to the top, but I don’t think she is a good role model for young girls.  Even in her music video she is dressed in tight clothes, boys all around, and dancing provocatively.  She does not act her age, but on some of the close up facial shots you can see that she is a very young girl. When I first heard this song I did not expect it to be young Willow Smith singing it.
            I definitely have mixed feelings about the song, and the artist herself.  I personally do not even like the song.  The fact that is was produced by someone so young, almost turns me away from the song even more because it could be interpreted as a very sexual song.  At age ten that seems a little inappropriate.   Overall, I do not feel Willow should be considered a role model for children around her age, because she is growing up in a different environment, and is clearly maturing at a extremely fast pace.  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and while I don't wish to minimize her success--her parents are Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith, so she definitely had some star power help t get her where she is. While I think there are much worse images out there, there is something about the song/video that I find troubling, like it just on the edge.

    ReplyDelete