Friday, January 14, 2011

Response to Question J


I chose to analyze the article, “Biphobia”, by Marcia Deihl and Robyn Ochs, because I have seen homophobia first hand, however, never realized the issue of biphobia.  The article defines biphobia as the fear of the other and fear of the space between categories.  Many believe there are set, distinct categories of heterosexuality and homosexuality.  I agree that there is more of a spectrum between the two “major” sexualities.  It is possible for someone to not judge a person on their gender, and fall in love with each gender for their other qualities.  Some of the stereotypes of this sexuality listed were; "they’re going through a stage, she’s lesbian but can’t admit it yet, he’s just experimenting, or that they’re swingers and sex maniacs” (p.385).  These are all false stereotypes, and interpretations of the kind of lifestyle these people choose to live.  Everyone deserves the right to love and be treated with dignity no matter what sexuality they choose.  I have a female friend who is heterosexual and never has had an attraction to a girl, until she met this one.  She and this girl dated for a few months, and now my friend has a boyfriend.  She does not consider herself a lesbian, or even bisexual, she just grew feelings for this one single girl, not all girls.  This friend taught me that there is a lot more to love than simply defined categories, and that it works in all different ways.
            One of the most interesting points of this article was the idea that “bisexuals are perceived as a threat to so many gays and lesbians” (387).  Many homosexual people believe that you have to like either males or females, not both.  I think this is so hurtful, because, even the people who know how it feels to be judged on their sexuality are not judging someone who they could closely relate to.  Sexuality is such a complicated matter, and seems to becoming less of a taboo topic but many are still intimidated by it.  I overall feel everyone has the right to love who they choose to love, and sexuality should not define someone.  As the article states “Sexuality is a giant field in which lesbian and gay people are clustered mostly on one side and heterosexually-identified people are clustered mostly on the other.  We are not locked into place”. If we all opened our minds and accepted people for who they were (even if we don’t understand it), we might all learn something from each other.  

6 comments:

  1. I really appreciate you writing about this. While I do not identify as bisexual, but rather pansexual, I faced the same stigma. I was just going through a phase... etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Miranda, I really appreciate you writing about this. Myself as well as friends through high school had to deal with people not understanding that there has to be labels of straight or gay. I know especially for myself, when I crushed on a girl in high school my mom could not understand that that was who I liked, she thought it was not real. Though now I am in love with a boy, I know anyone can have feelings for anyone, no matter the gender of the person; I wish more people would realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally have never had intimate feelings for another female however, I believe that it's not the gender of the person that matters. It's who the person really is. I didn't fall in love with my ex-boyfriend because he was male, I fell in love with him because of who he was. I think it's wrong that labeling is out there and has become the way to categorize others. We're all human and there should not be labels that separate us from each other. Like you said, that's just hurtful and not right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it very odd that homosexuals have such a narrow idea of one's sexaul orientation. I don't understand how lesbians or gay men, who all face oppression, could see bisexual people as a threat. I really like how you talked about this because my cousin is a lesbian but never has fully told the whole family. My grandmother is in somewhat denial about it and I'm sure she has used the excuses as, "she's going through a stage" but it is not a stage. If homosexuals are having to face judgment, I don't understand why they are so quick to do the same to people who are going through similar things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a really great post and I'm glad that so many people commented so openly about the topic. It makes everything taught in this class seem so more concrete and real. I agree with you and your statement that there is a lot more to love than simply defined categories, and that it works in all different ways. I wish that everyone could think this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, bisexuals are a threat to gays and lesbians. That's like the "privileged minority" that was talked about in Privilege, Power, and Difference: the smart asian or the light skinned black.

    ReplyDelete