Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Video Treatment

1. The Topic:  Sexism
            Why?  I am a young female student, and have seen sexism in different ways throughout my life.  From a child playing with dolls, and my male friends playing with toy dump trucks.  Then as a young girl wanting to look like all the girls depicted in the magazines.  To now trying to apply for jobs in             the corporate world.  Sexism has been around my entire life, just in different ways.  I feel the media has a huge influence over the stereotypes and “roles” that males an females are supposed to play in our society.

2. The Story: I want to show the life of a woman in comparison to that of a male.  I want to start with how young children view sexism, and move towards how adults see it.  I plan of using images from magazines, movies, and television shows to better prove my point. I also am going to try and get some opinions from friends to include.  It is basically going to be a timeline which shows that “sexism” follows us through our lives, and that our gender can shape the way our lives will unfold.

3. The Software: Microsoft Powerpoint.  I have made a lot of Powerpoints and feel very comfortable with it.  However, I am going to try and add video clips therefore I will need to gain assistance from other sources (internet, links that the Professor provided us).

4. Research: I am going to use the two books we use for class, as well as the video’s.  I also am going to interview different aged people to see their opinions on sexism, if they feel it is a problem, and if they think it is partially influenced by the media.  I am going to look at magazine advertisements and articles, as well as television shows inclusion of sexism.

5. Timeline: I have already begun researching magazine articles and advertisements that portray sexism.  I next want to outline the how I want to set up the slideshow, create a flow pattern etc.  Then I will ask some people for statements on their thoughts of sexism embedded in our society.  By the end of this weekend I hope to have majority of my research and the outline of my slideshow done so I can work on the details next week!

6. Take Away Message:  I want my viewers to see that sexism is portrayed all around us in everyday life.  I also want them to realize it is a issue, interconnects with the media, and can be changed.  It is about time we challenged the stereotypes related to gender, and realize that we all are more alike than we think. 

4 comments:

  1. This is a really cool idea with the time line of a woman and how society affects her way of thinking. But I am worried that it might be more than 5 minutes long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I actually was thinking that after I thought about how many slides I would like for each stage in life. I am going to condense it by possibly just doing a females outlook, or just comparing males and females when in their childhood years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you will basically turn the video into a timeline. It'll be very interesting to see how it follows our lives from childhood to adulthood. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually really glad to hear that you aren't doing racism....it seems like everyone else in class is doing this topic.....myself included......

    Your topic seems interesting and new. I don't see any problems with it - it seems straight forward and you know what you are doing. Buena suerte!

    ReplyDelete